Saturday, January 15, 2011

Love Those Locks

Hola amigos,
Sorry for being M.I.A! I can't believe its been over two weeks since our last entry. It seems like a lot has happened since the new year began...hope you are all healthy and happy!
Kelly is in great spirits and feeling just as strong as she did before treatments began. 


This past week has been an especially wonderful one for Kelly being that Yoela, Ella Mia and Rob came to visit us in NY! Yoela (Kelly's best friend since forever) and her family stayed in an apartment just a few blocks down the street from Kelly and Hector in NYC, so the 5 Panameños enjoyed the week doing everything from walking through snowy Central Park, visiting to the Natural History Museum, and enjoying a yummy meal at Serendipity!  On friday they all hopped on a train and came up to the glass house in Mountainville, where Mom and I continue to stay.  Yoela and Rob have never experienced this much snow, so they are stoked! And of course, this is Ella Mia's 1st snow ever! Today we took them to the organic market for a delicious breakfast and some hot apple cider, followed by few hours of sledding down the slope here next to the house.  Then, at about 4pm, Kelly and Yoela said goodbye to their long hair...





Both girls braided their hair before mom took the scissors to their ponytails and cut them off!  As you can see, they look beautiful! Kelly's braid measured in at a whopping 16 inches, and Yoela's measured in at exactly 10 inches.  Both of them plan on donating their hair to Locks of Love.  Locks of Love is a public non-profit organization that provides hairpieces to financially disadvantaged children under age 21 suffering from long-term medical hair loss from any diagnosis...







On a side note...
As Mami & I were falling asleep last night, we started to think about time...don't worry, I am not going to get all philosophical on you guys. But I am going to let you in on what our math skills brought to our attention:




This past Thursday Jan.13, 2011, marked the 80th day since Kelly's tumor was removed. Can you believe its already been that long? We can't believe there was even an operation to begin with!

Today, Saturday Jan. 15, 2011, marks the 100th day since Kelly's seizure. 101 days ago, we celebrated my 24th birthday, and never in our wildest dreams knew what lied ahead of us starting the very next day.

Tomorrow, Sunday Jan. 16, 2011, will be our 90th day in the USA.

This coming Tuesday Jan.18, 2011, marks the 100th day since Kelly was diagnosed with a brain tumor. Craziness...but you know what? That egg is out of her head, and she is braver than ever!

16 comments:

  1. I am wondering if I will ever make it out there. Seems far fetched but you never know. Glad to hear that spirits are up. Leah just pulled her back out, has been down for three days now. So, I have been taking care of her, and I even kicked butt selling the skincare by myself. I had a friend named Scooter join me to woo the ladies. Worked like a charm. Nice to have an update. Love, Oliver and Leah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pictures! Rob and Yoella have a beautiful baby and all three girls look great with short hair. Hope you all had a great time together. I'm off to go sledding with my little boy now. Almost as much fun as cardboarding down admin hill. Danny keeps saying, "Papa, it's time to go, it's time to go TOOO THE SNOOOOW". Yo Gabba Gabba is almost and Mommy and baby are up so I better get going.

    Lots of love,

    Matt and fam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ani glad to see you typing away again. We missed you! Your anecdotes and photographs really make Mountanville come alive. I can just see the hillsides being taken over by snow and ALL the Brave Warriors and the Princess!!! You ladies are truly beautiful spirits.
    XOXO
    Big Worm

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heidi Henriquez DuarteJanuary 16, 2011 at 1:57 PM

    Hi kelly and family,
    I often think about you and your family, specially your parents. I just got back from Panama, after spending Christmas and New Year's with my family there. I went to Saint Mary's Church for Christmas mass and it was very emotional for me, as it reminds me so much of my mother. But I would like you to know, even though you probably don't remember me, my prayers on that day were for you and your perfect health, as well as for your mother and father.
    Love,
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am very impressed with your math/organizational skills! AWESOME hair cuts, too :))
    Love,
    Trina in Connecticut xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kelly, Anne, Mari, and family,

    I loved the pictures!!!!!! All three girls look so beautiful with their new hair dos and happy, God bless them. It reminded me of Saturday mornings going to a Cut Above and getting their nails done with the reddest of reds and media luna.... that was only yesterday.

    I can't wait to hear all the cuentitos tomorrow night when we pick them up at the airport. Ella said Dada while up there, maybe she'll say Tia Kelly and Tia Anne soon. When I spoke to Yoela today she said it was amazingly beautiful up there, and loved the sleddding, the snow, I wish we could all be up there with you now.

    Well, time is passing by fast and hopefully it won't be too long until you are all down here.

    I prayed the rosary again today for Kelly, Tana, Yuli and Peter, I hope the kids were able to to go mass today. We'll keep praying for Kelly's health and trusting in God that she will soon be well.

    Miss you all very much and hope to see you soon.

    Tia Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello all.
    Love the Pic of the hair with la cinta metrica. Take care

    Guss Dowerds

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love you Kells, Im still cooking up a storm of non edibles.. and did you know that measuring cups really work?!

    By the time you get back.. ill have to boil you a dinner to celebrate.

    Nicole Lee

    ReplyDelete
  9. HEY!!!!!! Look at all that short hair!!! :) Well, I just walked off a ship a couple days ago in Long Beach, California. It looks like you guys are having some happy mini-reunions. I wish i could join in the fun. :) MIss you kelly!!!
    your friend,
    Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Kelly,

    Just wanted to drop you a line and say hello.
    Looks like all you panamanians took the states by storm!! Anyhow I sure Love and miss you! Take Care!!!

    Alex Livingston

    ReplyDelete
  11. Querida Kelly:
    Its been so many years since I've seen you. You're as beautiful as ever. Do you remember playing tetherball at Balboa elementry? Nobody could beat you girl! You're a fighter. I remember you clowning around, down to earth, and, its cliche, but really full of life. I dont think you've probably changed much. You're full of life Kelly, and ten years from now, you're gonna be even a more icredible woman than you are today. My mom wants you to know she prays for you every day. I send you a big hug!
    Jenny Mattocks

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Kelly and Family,

    I LOVE THE HAIR CUTS!!!!!!! Thank you so much for the wonderful inspiring update Ani. I wanted to just let you know that we are continuing to pray for you, Kelly and for your whole family. Kelly, You will be back in Panama soon and looking out at the Pacific Ocean from your beach! I send you much love and big hugs.
    Keep going Kelly! You can do ALL THINGS through God who gives you strength and joy! It is Sunday night and I know you are getting ready for another week of treatments. Just be totally assured of my love and prayers. You are beautiful Kelly!

    God bless you all,
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  13. Please pass on my love and support to Kelly. Kelly was a good friend of mine when she was going to school in Rome years ago. I am heartbroken to hear about her struggles. Please tell her to stay strong and beautiful and that I'm praying for her. Lots of love xoxo. -Haleemon

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ani,

    I am also an old friend of Kelly's from Rome...she was my roommate and best friend. Sadly, we have lost touch, but I hope you will let her know that I love her very much. I know she is a strong, beautiful, unique and loving blessing of a person.

    Please let me know if there is any way I can send a message to her directly, I live in DC and can come up for a visit on the weekends!

    If there is anything I can send...flowers, or make a donation to Locks of Love, please let me know.

    Words can't express what a wonderful sister you are...this blog is a beautiful gift to Kelly and everyone who loves her.

    My contact information is:
    Elizabeth Tucker
    phone: 202-487-1331
    email: e_2tucker@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. hi ms Kelly,
    we miss you at school. when are you coming back???
    how are you doing?
    GWS
    Gabriela ,Sion ,Leon ,Steven and Daniel Harari

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kelly para Dios NO HAY IMPOSIBLES, El todo lo puede, El es el dueño de nuestrs vidas, y hoy declaramos en nombre de su hijo Jesus sanidad para ti. Mucha Fe, recuerda que la Fe es la certeza de lo que no se ve y la conviccion de lo que no se tiene"
    "Dijeron los apostoles al Señor: Aumentanos la fe. Entonces el Señor les dijo: Si tuvierais fe como un grano de mostaza, podriais decir a este sicomoro: Desarraigate y plantate en el mar; y os obedeciria". Lucas 17,5
    "He aqui que aquel cuya alma no es recta, se enorgullece; mas el justo por su fe vivira" Hab. 2,4

    Muchas bendciones para Ti

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts for Kelly